Quantcast

Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

JustanRCA
I have a question...  One of our RCA's was forced to resign last year and the job was just now posted (right at the end of the 120 days, I might add).  I am the primary sub on another route, and was informed that I must cover this other route on my off Saturday's.  Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed my 6 years at the PO.  I work a couple of other jobs, but I always work my own route and am available to my regular when needed.  I recently told the supervisor that I don't want to continue working every weekend through the summer.  I will never get this time back with my young children.  My supervisor is threatening that he can fire me if turn him down three times to run the route that I am not the primary on.  I have a call into my state union steward since our office is not covered by an area steward, but can anyone tell me if I can be fired for not running this route, or am I being bullied with threats?

Re: Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

rsewell
As much as I hate to say this, but Yes he can. Article 30.2.M states: "In addition to the provisions in Article 16, the following actions shall constitute just cause for removal of rural carrier associates (RCAs) and rural carrier relief (RCRs) employees: repeated unavailability for work,failure to maintain the regualr schedule within reasonable limits, delay of mail, and failure to perform satisfactorily in the office."
80% of success is just showing up - Woody Allen
Duh

If you've ever served on the route you're considered trained and you were hired to work any route you're trained on.
Ray

Re: Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

Ray
The supervisor is correct.  I believe they can also require you to learn up to 3 routes to sub on.

Re: Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

Mailchick
Yes, he can fire you for that. You have to be available, especially on weekends...duh! Failure to report, or keep a regular schedule is just cause for removal.

Sorry, but that is what we all do in the quest to make regular, and then as a regular, some of us get to continue to work every weekend, winter, spring, summer and fall. You have to decide whether or not you like the paycheck, then decide whether or not you will continue to work here, it is entirely up to you.

Re: Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

OHfemail
I don't know if you've ever worked the route without a sub? Are you on the matrix for that route or is anyone else? How many routes are in your office? I think those would be considerations before we can provide a clear answer, but hopefully your steward can help.
Sincerely,
One Who Is Not Speaking In An Official Postal Capacity

Re: Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

JustanRCA
Thanks to everyone for the responses. To answer your questions, we have 7 routes in our PO, 1 being an aux and the other 6 being J routes.  Not counting the RCA who runs the aux route, we currently have 5 RCA's.  We generally have 3 RCA's working each Saturday, but we are currently down one.  I am 4th on the seniority list, also not counting the RCA who runs the aux route.  For the route in question that currently has no primary sub, I am the third on the matrix.  I will clarify that I did not say I will not work on this route, I gave my supervisor a list of about 8 weekends we were going to be out of town - none of which were on my primary route or holiday weekends - from now through the end of the year.  I will also mention that the second person on the matrix was not asked to run this route, I was simply told I was responsible for covering all the Saturdays for this route.  And that if I could not do that, I could resign.  I did speak to my union steward, and he said that I cannot be fired or forced to resign for not running this route.  I am a good RCA, and this is the first hint of a problem I have had in 6 years.  I am always there for my regular, and have rarely had to decline to run any of the other routes in the PO (I am able to run 6 of our 7 routes) in the last 6 years.  To top it off, there is another sub in our office with seniority over me who has requested to run this route because she needs the extra income, so I am not sure why the supervisor is behaving in this manner.  Or why he does not go after the other subs in our office who refuse to learn any of the other routes or run any besides thier own.  That being said (sorry about that last bit of whining), I am just going to ride this out.  I refuse to resign, so they will be forced to fire me.

Re: Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

RCAGIRL
Glad you got some answers from the steward.
Is the secondary on the route available the Saturdays that they need coverage? If so it should go to them first and  they should be the first to be fired
We have this situation in my office and the RCA available for the route wasn't even asked if he wanted to do it. They called in someone from another office to cover it.

Re: Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

ctrr03
Hopefully, you put in a leave slip for every time you are not available.   If not, do it now.    If you are denied any of them, grieve it, as subs also have a right to a life and time off.   Even if you don't earn leave, this will cover you because it is a written notice to management that you are not available.   Subs in my office also use the slips.  Leave is granted on a 1st come, 1st serve basis, and RCAs are included in this.

[...]

stillrca
Excellent response!!
Although, I never heard of any real RCA's with a Saturday off.  Man, I feel cheated for the past 7 years.

Re: Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

i disagree with your answer while they might be allowed to put in leave slips they are not entitled to time off, if you look at all the scheduling guidelines , and cheat sheets one of the last thing said almost always is , if no one is available schedule unavailable rcas, so even putting in a leave slip will not always save you.

Re: Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

i disagree with your union steward , while your removal wouldnt be as easy as you pm or supervisor would like you to believe you can be fired for this. what they may have been trying to get at is if they are not scheduling the right person to work the route , it would be much harder to punish you for turning it down. what you could do though is if they schedule you file a greivance that they are not following the matrix and the other carrier is available for work. that would be the fastest way to solve your problem without risking discipline. while the union can fight to get your job back very rarely do they get it with back pay. but like i said if you file a grievance you can avoid most of this without the hassle. scheduling is the job of management , even if they are wrong. it takes a grievance sometime s to make them do it right. the other carrier  on the matrix could also file and get paid for the days you work. to avoid all this they to  should talk to them and point out that this work is rightfully theirs.

Re: Is an RCA required to cover a route if they aren't the primary sub?

Mailchick
"Leave is granted on a 1st come, 1st serve basis, and RCAs are included in this."

This is not in s our contract, in fact the rules abour granting leave are so vauge, it is onece agan up to management to treat us fairly, that is hit or miss at best.

As far as an RCA beinf entitled to leave equally to a career carrier, not so, most RCA's are requesting LWOP, which is most certainly not equal to annual leave.