Quantcast

aux carrier sick leave denied

ASN

aux carrier sick leave denied

ASN
my postmaster says that aux carriers are not allowed to use sick leave for dr. appts.  because we don't work a full day.  I found this online but it doesn't state whether its sick or annual leave:

(Exception: Continuation of pay (COP) leave hours are used in conjunction
with limited duty work. These COP hours must be recorded in whole hour
increments. Auxiliary carriers and part-time flexible rural carriers are granted
leave in whole hour increments.)

most of the time i do try to schedule my appts around my work hours, but sometimes you need the whole day

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

Aux Carrier
This post was updated on .
You are allowed to use your leave in hourly increments.  That's what it's there for.  You can take as many hours as you want up to your daily route evaluation.  For example: if your route is 3.5 hours you can take up to 3 hours of S/L or A/L as long as you have someone to work for you this shouldn't be a problem.  You should NOT be denied use of your sick leave as you have earned it and that's what it's there for!  Sometimes we have early morning appt's that require us to take a day off of work.
Duh

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

Duh
Not exactly right.  Yes you can use sick leave in hourly increments, but if you have a six hour aux route and a two hour appointment in the AM you can be required to either return to work or take four hours AL.  That's the way it works for hourly employees.

That would depend on the type of appt. and how far away it is.  If for example someone had a dentist appt. and was under sedation they would have to take the whole day off.  OR if their Dr. is a couple of hours away then that would also require a whole day off.
Duh

Agreed each instance of SL will be different and varying times.
ASN

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

ASN
why does everything with the postal service have to be so freaking complicated?  Anyone know where i can read more about this?  thanks for everyone's help
Duh

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

Duh
This post was updated on .

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

for some reason i think you can use up to 8 hrs of s/l a day  no matter what your route is evaluated at as long as you dont go over 40 hrs for the week with a/l s/l and work hrs combined. i will see if i can find it .

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

ASN

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

ASN
so I gave up on trying to use my sick leave and just reshedualed my appt.  My postmaster comes up to my case yesterday and says I need you to come in on that day to help out in the office before you go to your route.  I then tell her that the day I reshedualed too needed to get off early that day.  her reply, you'll be okay, you might even be able to start your route early, i'll be here to help.  Ya right, help hold down the phone.  My route is evuluated at 2.67hrs i know its a baby route.  I would have no problem making appts after work if i didn't have so much stuff to do after my route.  express, bank runs, lunch, take packages that wouldn't fit in cars to carriers on the route.

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

ok first off you pm has no right to deny you s/l and when and what your going for is none of their business , but if they take this route away you will lose at some pt all these hrs your banking . second they also have no right to put all these extra duties on you except , the express mail. how are they paying you for all of this? if you 5-1 they can make you run packages out to the other carrier on the route you are an rca and thats it, what they should be doing is making the carriers that can t get the packages in is do a second trip and paying them for it. i can almost tell what your gonna say is the supervisor will have a prob with this . well thats to bad if they want this to be part of your daily route then have them add it and pay you accordingly for it , and then you ll get more s/l and a/l banked , what your supervisor is doing is using u
ASN

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

ASN
I know that I am being used.  Not really much that I can do about it though.  Our office steward is worthless , she out to help the postmaster more than the carriers.  She was is the office when the pm was explaining why I couldn't use s/l, didn't open her mouth once.  She waited until I left to run my route and went on the workroom floor to tell the other carriers my business.  so sick of all of it now.

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

Aux Carrier
If you aren't getting any help at the local level then you need to go to the State Steward.  I wouldn't put up with this crap.  I also agree that it is none of the PM's business what you're taking sick leave for.  As long as you provide a doctor's excuse when asked that's all they need to know.

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

SPEED BUGGY
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
ASN

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

ASN
I have no proof.  It would be my word against hers.  The person who told me about our steward gossiping about me doesn't want anyone to know that she said anything.  Plus talking to the SS is not worth putting up with her retaliation.  She can be very vendictive.
I have another steward trying to find something in writting about the sick leave but haven't heard back from her yet.  Thanks for everyone's advice.

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

i gave you the link that said you can use s/l up to 8 hrs a day , not over 40 hrs a week. it doesnt say anything in there about only for the aux route standard daily hrs. most of the time retaliation or talk of it is just someone blowing steam, when i went to my first office the first thing i was told was we dont file grievances here. so i said wow so this office is fair in decisions, no we dont file grievances here. well that didnt last long you lay low for awhile because you ve been warned right? so the first grievance gets filed , everyone is overreacting about what s going to happen. it was won life went on , several more filed life went on. nothing happened . or i should say something happened now they are much more careful and actually follow the rules instead of just making them up as they go , if you can show them in writing the way its suppose to be they will follow that.
va

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

va
   We have been told by state stew, they can refuse sick leave for DRs visit if no sub available to do route, also if we earn leave we dont get to use part of a day its all day or nothing!

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

i dont know much about the fmla . but it seems like it would be in violation of it, you other choice then is to call in sick on the day of your appt your going their anyways , have the dr fill out slip saying you were seen . they have no right to no why you were seen just that you were there. then put in for 8 hrs lol and then your could say well i needed to go and when i tried to schedule it and it got denied and finally i just had to go i couldnt wait any longer lol

Re: aux carrier sick leave denied

the other thing if your scheduling in advance and others havent put in leave slips yet you shouldnt be denied. something you may want to watch if their waiting to the last second to see if they need them somewhere else.